What is Think Dirty®?
Think Dirty® is the easiest way to learn about the potentially toxic ingredients in your cosmetics and personal care products. It’s an independent source that allows you to compare products as you shop. Just scan the product barcode and Think Dirty® will give you easy-to-understand info on the product, its ingredients, and cleaner options.
Our mission is to be the trusted go-to source for more information and options for toxin-free personal products. We are the Rotten Tomatoes of all skin care and personal care products: from makeup to shampoo, soap, toothpaste and nail polishes.
Why Think Dirty?
- In US, there are more than 80,000 chemicals in daily products, including cosmetics and body care products, only 20% has been tested and very few are restricted or banned.
- EU has ban over 1,300 chemicals, Canada has banned 640 and US FDA has banned 11 for cosmetics. There's wide discrepancies in safety standards, hard for consumers to navigate.
- Personal care products are part of everyone’s daily routine and being absorbed by our largest organ – skin.
- Ingredient labels are hard to read. They are in fine print and are not mandatory to be legible for consumers.
- Chemical names are hard to memorize. Let alone search and understand all of them.
- True organic / natural products are not widely available at major retailers. "Natural" has no legal definitions, claims are often misleading to consumers.
What makes Think Dirty® different?
- A robust database of products
- A commitment to helping turn shopping for clean products a daily habit
- Reward positive behaviour for health and environment
- Education consumers through challenges and humour
Milestones to date
2013 Feb - Featured in The Next Web Mobile Magazine as one of the favourite startups
2013 March - Presented at Small Business Marketing Panelist at U of T Marketing Summit
2013 May - Featured on Venus Venture blog as Winner for FITC Women initiative
2013 Aug - iOS app v1 release
2013 Aug - Breast Cancer Fund and Campaign for Safe Cosmetics as Strategic Alliance
2013 Sept - Winner for Spin Master Innovation Fund 2013
2013 Oct - Exhibited in SXSW ECO -> check out video from a blogger instagram
2014 Feb - 54,000 Downloads, close to 20,000 registered users to date, 40,000 user submissions to database, 150,000 unique scans.
App Central Thinking dirty this week on App Central see episode here
Global News BC In depth: What’s in your make-up?
CityTV New App Reveals Ingredients in Beauty Products
Omni News (Cantonese) 護理產品手機程式 Mobile App for Personal Care Products
Global News Canadian app rates ‘dirty’ ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products
Women 2.0 THE THINK DIRTY STORY
Huffington Post Healthy Living Think Dirty App Could Clue Consumers In To Chemicals In Makeup
Grist New app lets you quickly scan cosmetics to see if they’re potentially toxic
Ecouterre Demystify Cosmetics Labels With “Think Dirty” Smartphone App
Examiner.com Think Dirty app invites women to investigate their beauty products
The Toronto Egotist Think Dirty...30 days of dirty for the Breast Cancer Fund
Ad Week Think Dirty App Scans Your Personal Care Products Looking for Toxins Teaming with Breast Cancer Fund at launch
Globe and Mail Six startups win $50,000 Spin Master prize for innovation
The Next Web Issue v1.2 – Startups to follow
Thanks for checking us out!
For more info, visit us at thinkdirtyapp.com